The Education (Pastoral Care for International Students) Code of Practice 2016
UUNZ Institute of Business has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code are available from the NZQA website at www.nzqa.govt.nz.
When students from other countries come to study in New Zealand, it is important that those students are well informed, safe, and properly cared for.
New Zealand educational providers have an important responsibility for international students’ welfare.
A summary of the latest External Quality Assurance Report can be found here:
What is the Code?
The Code is a document that provides a framework for service delivery by educational providers and their agents to international students. The Code sets out the minimum standards of advice and care that are expected of educational providers with respect to international students. The Code applies to pastoral care and provision of information only, and not to academic standards.
Code of Practice resources available in different languages:
Who does the Code apply to?
The Code applies to all education providers in New Zealand with international students enrolled. The Code is mandatory to these providers and must be signed by them.
What is an “international student”?
An “international student” is a foreign student studying in New Zealand.
How can I get a copy of the Code?
You can download a copy of the Code from the NZQA website at www.nzqa.govt.nz.
How do I know if an education provider has signed the Code?
NZQA maintains a register of all signatories to the Code. This is available online from www.nzqa.govt.nz. If the education provider that you are seeking to enrol with is not a signatory to the Code you will not be able to study at that institution.
What if I have questions about the Code?
NZQA is the Administrator of the Code. If you have any inquiries about the Code, you can find out more information at www.nzqa.govt.nz or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if something goes wrong?
If you have a complaint about UUNZ Institute of Business breaching the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016, follow UUNZ Institute of Business formal complaint process first.
If this does not resolve your complaint, you can contact:
- NZQA (for concerns and complaints about a provider breaching the Code) or
- iStudent Complaints (for concerns and complaints about money or contracts).
You can contact iStudent Complaints in a few ways:
International phone number 64 4 918 4975
Freephone (within New Zealand) 0800 00 66 75
A summary of the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students
The Code sets standards for education providers to ensure that:
- high professional standards are maintained
- the recruitment of international students is undertaken in an ethical and responsible manner
- information supplied to international students is comprehensive, accurate, and up-to-date
- students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments
- contractual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner
- the particular needs of international students are recognised
- international students are in safe accommodation all providers have fair and equitable internal procedures for the resolution of international student grievances.